Friday, September 3, 2010

Nothing in the Logs

We got an error message in our logs the other day that said:

Operation '' not permitted

After a bit of digging, we discovered that we're logging in ASCII, and for some reason this was attempting to do something that could not be represented in ASCII. When we finally got debugging to show us something, it was just junk that happened to render as a weird symbol.

This defect is now known internally as "the operation formerly known as Prince."

(For those of us playing along at home, the underlying issue was attempting to use the wrong portion of memory at the wrong time, with an odd result.)

No comments:

Post a Comment