It's really tempting sometimes to throw up my hands and ask someone to walk me through it. Or I could show a little initiative and at least try once before I go running for assistance. People are happy to help, usually, but they're happier to help when you
It's a fine line between asking for help too often and sitting around being stuck because you won't ask for help.
In general, ask for help if:
- Doing it wrong will break something expensive
- You've been told to ask for help
- You've tried a few times (really tried) and failed. Be prepared to state what you've tried
In general, don't ask for help if:
- You haven't even tried it at all
- You haven't read any available documentation
Help yourself. Then get others to help you. It'll go much better.