First let me note that I'm on Leopard. Plugged into the network (wired), Mail is running and works fine. Sending and receiving mail is great.
- Unplug from the network (say, go to a meeting)
- While unplugged, write a new message and hit send
- Message shows up in the On My Mac folder repeatedly (about once every 45 seconds)
- The sending folder shows a spinner for 10 minutes or so
- An error appears with the message: "The connection to the server "mail.example.com" on port 993 timed out."
This repeats indefinitely, and no other mail can be sent or received, even after the user plugs in. I keep getting that error message once every 2-3 minutes. The only way I can get it to stop is to blow away my Mail preferences file and reconfigure the account.