We so rarely talk about the endings.
One of the trickiest issues we have is how to handle customer issues. Here is where the beginning is well-defined, and the end is not. Here's the process, roughly:
- Client logs an issue (or support notices an issue at the client stuff).
- Support looks at the issue to figure out (1) what's wrong; and (2) how to get the client running again, if necessary.
- Support logs a bug for dev to figure out what the problem is. This only happens if the issue is something new or is unclear.
- Dev looks at the issue and figures out what's going on. Where necessary, dev comes up with a workaround.
- The bug that support logged gets moved into a dev queue.
- The bug that the client logged gets moved into a dev queue.
- The bug that the client logged gets closed.
- The bug might be closed and a story created to add new functionality.
- Someone sends an email saying, "So what's next on this item?"